Thursday, August 16, 2012

Where are you, Peggy Sue?

graceful for young women

Hey, squirt! 

     Yeah, you.  The skinny, SKINNY girl with the long stringy hair, no "figure," and the black-glasses-before-Tina Fey-made-black-glasses-cool.  I need to tell you some stuff, so hang on and LISTEN!  See, I know you better than you think.  You worry all. the. time.  About everything.  About SIDS & your baby sister.  About whether anyone will ever like you.  About being invisible (figuratively).  About money.  About school & your grades - NOT that you should worry about those, you nerd.  About getting married & kids, etc.  So STOP it already.  Here's what I want you to know:


It's going to be OK.

Really.  It will.  You're going to grow up, nobody in your family is going to die before they're old, and you WILL get married.  Those glasses are going to fall off in a few years; you will grow boobs; and eventually, your hair is going to look seriously cool.  Two words - David Bowie. 

But I digress.  All that stuff you're worried about?  It all works out.  You do great in school.  You finally figure out what you want to do in life, and you do itYou have those kids - four, not the twelve you imagine you'd like, and they turn into GREAT kids!  Your husband is your "one true love" and you are his.  How cool is that?!  Plus, you get to hang out with kids a LOT - and not to change their nappies, either. 

So stop worrying, already.  All that worrying just gives you upset stomachs.  It also, dear one, takes your eyes off of God - and He's the one taking care of you after all!  Remember to have faith - "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1).  And trust - "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)  Know that "nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)


And, best of all, oh best beloved, He WILL take care of you!  "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 1:6)

Always remember this:  "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" (Jeremiah 29:11) 


With all my faith, hope, and love,



P. S.  When you finally get there, you're gonna LOVE the beach!!!
P. P. S.  Oh, and the Peggy Sue reference?  It's a movie - you'll like it!

2 comments:

  1. I need to tell younger self those same things! Worrying has taken to much of my life, and has continued to threaten to. I'm learning though- through many stretching situations. It has hurt, but I'm one step closer every trial. Thanks for such a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! If there is anything I wish I could drill into kids heads, it's the fact that the adults in their life are more often than not actually RIGHT and it's wise to listen to them!!!

    That whole "if I could do it again this is what I'd do differently" thing holds a lot of credit in my book :)

    Love you, sweet woman!

    ReplyDelete